Icenium Press Release
Telerik is announcing the official unveiling and general availability of Icenium.
- Icenium is the industry’s first end-to-end, Integrated Cloud Environment (ICE), enabling developers to build hybrid apps with ease.
- Telerik is advancing mobile app development with a breakthrough alternative that replaces the outmoded IDE approach and offers developers the most technologically advanced tools and modern coding environment.
- Until now, the cloud has been under-utilized – remaining a bit player in the mobile app development arena, relegated to ancillary services such as a digital storage locker or browser-based editor. A few vendors are surfacing to move the cloud to play a leading role in mobile app development. Icenium brings all mobile development to the cloud – turning SDKs, compilers, testing, debugging, digital certification into cloud services so that developers can build apps on any device and in any development environment — having anywhere/anytime access to their code, without being tethered to a physical place or specific platform.
- Today many enterprises and developers building for business face an inherent challenge in harnessing the value of the mobile cloud opportunity due to the issues surrounding device fragmentation. Icenium addresses these challenge with build once, deploy many capabilities.
The Icenium toolset is comprised of Icenium Graphite, an installed version for PCs, and Icenium Mist, the browser-based version. The toolset delivers all of the modern app development capabilities including:
- syntax coloring and formatting,
- real-time error detection,
- code navigation
- integrated version control
- streamlined app publishing preparation
Icenium is important as it marks a number of challenges and opportunities unfolding in the highly dynamic mobile app market.
- The current mobile fragmentation poses an unsustainable economics model. According to an article on OS X Daily, that it can cost anywhere between $50k-$150k to create a single quality iPhone app, not including ongoing updates and enhancements, developing multiple native apps supporting multiple platforms is generally cost-prohibitive. A January 2012 Forrester Research report notes, “enterprise development shops that plan on writing distinct native apps for each platform should plan on a budget 150% to 210% higher than what might be reasonably expected.”
- The traditional approach of IDEs is dated and limited. A number of innovative vendors have recently rolled out modern approaches that leverage the power and flexibility of the cloud to mobile app development. This major transition is akin to mainframe software moving to the client server or enterprise software moving to the SaaS-model. Cloud-integrated mobile app development, for the first time, unshackles developers from the outdated IDE, vendor platform-centric approach.
Introducing Icenium Video
This video will be on the home page of the Icenium.com website. It includes interviews with many of the Icenium team members, including Doug Seven (EVP) as well as users of Icenium – Richard Campbell, host of The Tablet Show, and John Vanderlinde, Software Developer at Imaginet.
What is Icenium?
Icenium Product Guide
Icenium™ Product Overview 2012 (PDF, 16.8MB)